09 February 2010

cakes. and plates.

Why cupcakes?  I've heard this a lot. And gotten some really funny looks--even though Martha Stewart Weddings has been preaching the value of cupcakes since at least 2003.  And you know, whatever Martha Stewart says goes.  She's the be all end all of wedding planning, so I'm trusting her.  So why cupcakes?  Well, I don't know.  I like cake.  But I wanted lots of flavors and several options.  Plus I wanted something that our guest could just pick up and eat.  No plates.  No forks.  Anyways, I did consider a few alternatives.  Like pie.  Lots of flavors and could be really pretty. 

 marthastewartweddings.com

But then I remembered that I think pie looks a lot better than it tastes.  So I moved on to cotton candy!

 
 marthastewartweddings.com
I love cotton candy.  Love it.  (what's better than spun sugar?)  And how cute would that be on a table?  Single servings with rock candy sticks...all pink and yellow and fluffy.  Except, this is not a baby shower.  And I'm going with green.  Nobody likes the green cotton candy.  So, then I thought about doughnuts
marthastewartweddings.com

What's not to like? Simply bread and sugar...my staples! I love the way they're stacked, and the simple white cake plate.  But my brother in law had doughnuts as his groom's cake.  And besides, if there's an occasion to serve cake, why not serve cupcakes? So I started looking around...

    
marthastewartweddings.com, sprinkles.com

Martha Stewart had these beauties.  And of course, there's my original Sprinkles image.  I'm keeping the monotone icing, but switching up the towers and tiers.  Of course, this negates chocolate icing.  But that's okay.  Sivada's Cupcakery makes fabulous icing no matter what flavor!  So I looked back to Martha, and she didn't fail.  Here's kind of what I'm thinking.



marthastewartweddings.com

Jackpot!  Varying heights and cute arrangements.  I think I'll go a little less uniform and the cake plates will all be different, but overall, I think you get the point.  So this is why cupcakes.  More fun, more flavor, and extremely me. 

Speaking of me...I think I hit the jackpot! 

*photo by mom
 
Have you ever seen anything so beautiful? And they're all mine!  I've been looking for jadeite cake plates (and really, any jadeite pieces) for the past 6 months.  Even though I've found a few here or there, they've been too expensive or not in good enough shape.  But these? These are gorgeous and affordable.  Well, affordable to me because my dad got them for me. We found them at a beautiful cake place in Jacksonville, but they weren't for sale.  However, the owner kindly gave us the source.  And voila!  I can't wait to use them at the wedding.  And for ever after.

So that's why cupcakes.  Here are the flavors I've come up with so far: wedding cake (of course!), red velvet, chocolate, coconut, key lime, boston creme, and creme brulee.  Am I missing anything? What flavor is your favorite?  (If it gets enough votes, maybe we'll add it in!) 
 

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Mocha cupcake w/a coffee bean on top...yummmm We had spice cake instead of the traditional wedding cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe people ask Why cupcakes?
    Umm... Because there is no tastier and more fun way to eat cake (especially if you use my method)!
    I'm not a big cake person but I adore cupcakes! So excellent choice, IMHO. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those cake plates!!! Where is the "source"?? I must know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly, Alima. No better way. Please tell me that you weren't up at 1:55 AM.

    Kimmy: Mosser Glass (mosserglass.com); you have to call to order them, but they send them out quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i remember the first time i ever SAW, much less tasted, red velvet cake was @ crystal's (sam's sister's) wedding when i was something like 13 or 14. YUM. good pick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I've been to weddings with cupcakes and everyone loved them.

    ReplyDelete