24 September 2010

a dilemma.

Ihave a secret. I love to read. There are not many places where you won't find a book stashed--in my purse, the car, in random places around the house. I am never without a book, and if I am, watch out.  Because that's when I feel the most crazy.  Usually, I'm reading two or three at a time, and sadly, a trip to the library lasts a week at the most--and that's with 10-12 books. (Case in point: I took 7 and bought 2 more when Sam and I went to Peter Island. I finished them all and had to settle for a magazine on the way back home.)

But lately, it's been less about what's inside the book, and more about the outsides.  I've never been a hardback kind of girl.  Basically, I'll pay full price for a hardback if I really want to read something--if it's all I can think about.  But usually, I wait for the paperback--in trade, no less. However, have you seen the Penguin Classics designed by Coralie Bickford-Smith?

via flickr



I die. (sorry for the Rachel Zoe-ism, but it was necessary.) Seriously. I want every one of these books. I do have a few, but I want these to line all of my bookshelves.

via flickr
And, the incredible part, is that these are classics! Books that you want on your shelf anyway: Dickens, D.H. Lawrence, Lewis Carroll, etc... And they're affordable (if they're not out of print, Amazon has them listed for $13.60)

So, here's the dilemma: just when I thought I couldn't covet any more books, Puffin created their own special 70th anniversary edition of six classic titles.  

via puffin

Their website says it best: "stunningly beautiful, stylish, highly collectable." They just forgot to add pricey because these are at 100 pounds each.  But with only 1,000 of each one, I guess they can be.

If I had to settle for one, well, there would be no settling...I mean, if I could only have one, it would be  Little Women.  It's one of my favorite books, and it's designed by my favorite: Orla Kiely.  Plus, look: 

via puffin







Beautiful. Seriously, I die. Again. 






1 comment: